The Pros and Cons of Using Social Media For Business
There is no doubt that social media marketing can have a massive impact on your business. With billions of potential clients at the other end of a post or tweet, and minimal cost it’s easy to get carried away and spend hours creating posts and scrolling through your feed waiting for someone to bite.
I want to share some of the pros and cons of using social media for business with you, so the massive impact it has is 100% positive.
Pros of social media
When used effectively, social media can have all the benefits of word of mouth, but on a massive scale! It gives you the tools you need to reach out to so many potential customers, learn from their behaviour and make better marketing decisions.
Here are a few other things social media can help you out with, when you use it in the right way:
- Reducing your marketing costs
- Increasing traffic to your website
- Improve your search engine rankings (SEO)
- Improve customer engagement
- Opens up doors to international markets
- Easy for customers to leave feedback
- Target audience market research
- Networking opportunities with customers and other businesses
Cons of social media
But if you don’t take social media seriously, you could end up wasting a lot of time and money and not see any results for your efforts.
Here are a few things that could go wrong if you launch your brand on social media without proper planning:
- You spend hours creating content that doesn’t get any engagement
- You don’t make allowances for daily monitoring and miss out on opportunities
- You don’t schedule enough time to manage your social media presence and don’t see any real benefits
- You give your audience a false representation of your brand
- You run the risk of provoking inappropriate behaviour on your site that damages your brand
- You don’t plan your content around you business goals and your posts have no purpose
But whatever the risks, being on social media can be hugely rewarding, and having a social media strategy prepared before you get started will help you manage those risks.
Do Your Homework
To make sure social media has a totally positive effect on your business, here are several articles you can read to get you off to the best start: